Hello, I’m Ginette and I’ve popped over from Loulou’s Lovely Letters, where you can usually find me designing and making clever, quirky and funny award-winning printed quotes for your home. I think words are brilliant, powerful and playful. Just the simplest slogans and phrases can change your mood or whole outlook on life. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner so I’m here to share my thoughts on that dastardly Hallmark holiday, why it really isn’t that bad (honest!) and where to find some awesome traditional, fun and indulgent gifts for your loved ones.
I think Valentine’s Day is a little like Marmite; you either love it or loathe it. Whilst supporters revel in flowers, chocolates, gifts and sweet nothings, haters despise being told when to declare their love and how much to pay for it.
What is love, though? At its most basic it’s a chemical reaction that floods your brain with endorphins and other neuro chemicals. Yet it can trigger the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. It has been the primary influence on song writers, poets, artists and authors for millennia. Love bonds us together like no other emotion. And that’s pretty damn cool.
Of course, we don’t need a formal day to officially declare our love for each other. And we certainly don’t need to buy expensive gifts to show the extent of our love. But isn’t it beautiful to have a day to take stock and consider what love really is? To appreciate our loved ones, romantic or otherwise, and think happy thoughts instead of getting caught up in the rat race of 21st century life?
This Valentine’s Day be true to yourself. Buy gifts because you truly believe they will bring happiness to your loved one. Buy thoughtful gifts you’ve taken time to select and write sweet nothings because they come from the heart, not from society’s expectations. If Valentine’s Day gets you down, buy a gift for your own awesome self – you deserve it.
If you need a little inspiration, that’s OK, I’ve got you covered. I’ve sourced some of the best Valentine’s gifts Hampshire has to offer and they all offer a My VIP Card discount (Haven’t got a card yet? What are you waiting for? Buy one here and start saving today).
A My VIP Card is an amazing gift in itself! But here are my top ideas!
- For beautiful, nature inspired jewellery visit Country Designs by Lisa. Your beloved will adore their fine silver acorn pendants and oak leaf drop earrings. (10% discount)
- Or check out Evelyn Winter’s rose gold three tier stars pendant necklace for a lovely layered piece. (free delivery)
- Have yours and your beloved’s initials hand stamped onto the trunk of a beautiful copper tree keyring from Trinkets by Moonlight. (10% discount)
- Commission a personalised print from Loulou’s Lovely Letters with your favourite words about your loved one, or snap up a brightly coloured ‘love’ or ‘kiss kiss’ print to hang in your home. (10-20% discount)
- Memories Mapped creates map cufflinks as an adorable keepsake of a special occasion or memory. Where will you choose for yours? (10% discount on orders over £10)
- For flowers that last forever visit Rainbow Lux Glass for the most beautiful glass flowers. Choose your design and colour for an extra special personalised gift. (10% discount)
- Treat your loved one (or yourself) to the ultimate relaxation treat: an AromaTouch massage from Miaza, based in Romsey. (10% discount)
- Book a night away in the enchanting and picturesque New Place Hotel, Southampton. (20% discount on room bookings)
- Chocolate lovers will be wowed by the beautiful chocolate bars, sticks, bark and buttons on offer over at Choose Chocolate. The raspberry and roasted coconut Peruvian dark chocolate bar looks simply delicious. (10% discount)
- Visit Olive, in the heart of Southampton, for an evening of spectacular cocktails and tapas. Make sure your ring ahead to reserve a table – you don’t want to miss out! (15% discount)
- With luxurious accommodation, spa treatments and a restaurant and bar the Solent Spa Hotel has everything you need for an extra special getaway with your partner (or maybe you’ll just treat yourself – I’m tempted!). (10-25% discount)
A little fun
- From beautiful lingerie to adult toys, the gorgeous La Boutique Blanche is your one stop shop. Indulge, surprise or enjoy shopping together online for the perfect Valentine’s underwear and night in. (15% discount)
- Book into Sneaky Dog Escapes in Southampton for a fun, alternative date night. In their fully immersive virtual reality escape rooms you will have to work together to solve the puzzles and escape before your time runs out! (15% discount)
- Learn to cook together with The Natural Cook Company. Book a customised cookery lesson from a professional cook or attend one of their exciting cookery classes in Alton. (10% discount)
- Get naked! If not on Valentine’s Day, then when?! Pick up a fabulously cheeky ‘get naked’ sign from La Di Da Interiors in Andover. (10% discount)
- Is your pooch or kitty your true love? Commission a custom pet portrait from Brush and Bobbins to adorn your walls and make you smile. Couples and family illustrations are available too. (10% discount)