LOOKING AFTER YOUR EMPLOYEES BEFORE ITS TOO LATE
A study by Owl Labs found that full-time remote workers reported being happy in their jobs 22% more than workers who are never remote. Remote workers reported having better work-life balance, focus, and less stress. Companies that give workers more flexibility were more likely to retain them…..
BUT this is not something they can achieve on their own!
You should now more than ever be looking after your employees. Remote workers and furloughed staff are genuinely going to disengage from your business faster than anything if you don’t do something to keep them motivated.
What you can be doing to help them …
- Checking in with them, not checking up on them. Your employees want to feel empowered and trusted, not like they are being spied on.
- Adding value by helping them to be better at their jobs. Offer them online training to help them to grow as people.
- 1:1s Online , listen to them! Get their feedback on how you are doing as an employer. If you need to make improvements to your processes you can do it before you lose people.
- Do some mental health training and let them know it’s OK to talk if they are having problems.
- Help them with money issues. Educate them, money is one of the key drivers of mental health issues and stress in the workplace, by helping them understand how they can save money and budget it could really help them.
- Keep morale up. Do something fun like a team pub night from home, or a quiz. Remember they are probably missing their work colleagues if you have built the right culture! Do some of the above and you will be less likely to find yourself spending money on recruitment, training and employee benefits when this is all over.
- Be flexible, supportive and not too demanding. I’ts hard for people to find motivation if they have not worked at home before. There are lots of distractions like kids, pets and mess. It genuinely doesn’t suit some people working from home, and that’s OK but remember if they see you as supportive they are much more likely to be happy at work (even if they are not AT work). Also bear in mind that some people don’t have the internet speed of big companies and that can be frustrating for everyone.
Employee experience will be the thing that helps you to get through this. Even if your staff are furloughed don’t just leave them. They will appreciate the phone call to ask how they are, maybe send them a video message or a card. It’s the little things that will be noticed.
If you want to know how your employees are coping and how they feel about your business currently or you want to reward them for their hard work or educate them on how they can manage their money in the currently climate My VIP Card have partners we work with that can help with these issues just get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org